Friday, July 1, 2011

Twice Baked Potatoes

The other day I decided that I was going to make twice baked potatoes for the first time. I rushed home after picking up the boys from the Y and put several washed potatoes in the microwave. After they were "baked", I sliced them open and scooped out the middle. Note: Be careful if you do this like I did and scoop them straight after microwaving. They are blazing hot and you need asbestos hands!
I added 8 oz of reduced fat sour cream, 4 oz Velveeta light cheese and chopped green onions to the potato middles and mashed until smooth. While I was mashing, I baked the potato shells in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. After I pulled out the shells, I filled them. I did not have time to get a pastry bag like the professionals do so I just scooped the fillings into the potato shells. I had a lot of filling, so I just kept over stuffing the potatoes. I topped the potatoes with reduced fat cheddar cheese and topped some of them with more green onions. (The kids would have had a fit if they had green onion on the top of theirs.)

Back into the oven they went for 10 more minutes.
They tasted good but didn't look so pretty. I think I added too much cheese. Gary told me that there was no such thing as too much cheese. I served these with chicken and steamed california blend veggies (carrots, broccoli and cauliflower).

No comments:

Post a Comment